Scott County COVID-19 Housing Assistance Program
The Scott County Board of Commissioners has approved support for Scott County renters and homeowners who experienced financial hardship and fell behind on their monthly housing payment as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Scott County, in collaboration with the Scott County Community Development Agency (CDA) and Community Action Partnership for Scott, Carver, and Dakota Communities will collect and review applications, determine eligibility and provide housing assistance grants. This initiative is being funded by Scott County’s allocation from the Federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act and will be administered in compliance with the rules and regulations of this Act.
Type of assistance this program funds:
- Rent Payments
- Homeowner Assistance
- Mortgage payments,
- Homeowner Association Dues, or
- Manufactured Home Lot rent payments
* Cannot assist with past due amounts 3/1/2020 or prior. Amount of assistance cannot exceed $1700 per month for renters or $2000 per month for homeowners and is based on the availability of funding.
Guidelines and Eligibility Criteria:
- Must be ineligible for State funds (CHAP)
- Must be a homeowner (primary residence) or renter in Scott County
- Must submit a completed Scott County COVID Housing Assistance Application (the application will be available in September)
- Must verify that household income is less than $118,900 annually
- Must verify last 3 months liquid cash assets.
- Must have experienced and be able to verify a loss of income, reduction in hours, or unemployment due to COVID 19
- Must verify rent or mortgage statements, association dues, or manufactured home lot payments were current as of 3/1/20.
- Must verify past due mortgage, association dues, or manufactured home payments after 3/1/20.
- Assistance must resolve the past due balance in full.
- Assistance is only available one time.
- Assistance payments are in the form of a grant and made out directly to the entity owed by the program participant.
- Applicants must be listed on the lease agreement, mortgage statement, association dues, or lot rent statement.
*Priority goes to households with liquid cash assets of 3 months of total monthly housing payment or less.
For both rent and mortgage assistance: First, you must apply for State Funds (CHAP) Funds. There are 3 ways to connect with CHAP:
- CALL 211 or toll free at 1.800.543.7709 or 651.291.0211 (from cell phones)
- ONLINE at www.211unitedway.org
- TEXT “MNRENT” or “MNHOME” to 898-211
If you are eligible for State Funds (CHAP), your application will be directed to the agency you will be working with.
If ineligible and you live in Scott County, you can apply online at https://scott-cares.paperform.co. The Scott County CDA will work with any homeowners and the CAP Agency located in Shakopee, MN will work with any renters who apply for our funds.
Other Housing Resources
Link to the Scott County CARES Homeowner Assistance Program Guidelines
Link to the Scott County CARES Renter Assistance Program Guidelines
Link to the webpage for assistance for businesses impacted by COVID
ADDITIONAL LOCAL HOUSING ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS
Belle Plaine Resident Relief Grant – Applications NOW OPEN. Residents can receive up to $3,000 to help with past due rent or mortgage payments due to COVID-19. Loan applications will be accepted until the funds are gone. The grant program is funded by the CARES Act Relief Fund and subject to federal guidance.